An easy dish of sausages tossed in a spicy relish of onions and capsicums. Spicy and tangy with a slight sweetness. Dog lover or not, you will wolf them down in a hurry. To convert it into a hot dog, just roll up a couple of sausages in a chapati (or a bun, if you please)!
You will need:
Sausages, any variety except Goan 250 gms
Onions, sliced thickly 2 large
Green capsicum, sliced 1 large
Worcestershire sauce 1 tsp, optional
English mustard ½ tsp, optional
Vinegar 1-2 tsp
Jaggery, powdered ½ tsp Can substitute ¼ tsp sugar, but lacks the earthy flavor of jaggery
For the masala paste:
Onion, chopped coarsely ½
Red chillies 3-4
Garlic 4-5 cloves
Dhania/ Coriander leaves 2-3 stalks
Kadipatta/curry leaves 5-6
· Thaw out the sausages if they are frozen.
· Grind the ingredients for the masala into a fine paste.
· Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan or wok. When hot, put in the sliced onions and capsicum. Fry for a few minutes on high heat, stirring regularly to prevent it from burning. When the onions turn a light brown, add 2 teaspoonfuls of the masala paste. Turn down the heat and stir well until the paste is fully blended into the onions. Add the mustard, if you are using it. Fry the entire mixture for 2-3 minutes, until you no longer get a raw smell from the paste. Keep stirring constantly. If the onions seem to be drying out and the mixture, browning too much, add a splash of vinegar. Finally throw in the jaggery and mix it all well together. Take a taste and add more masala paste if required.
· Now add the thawed out sausages. Stir the pan well so that all the sausages are well coated with the masala. Cover and let it cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Open occasionally and stir the contents well. Add a further splash of vinegar, about ½ teaspoon and the Worcestershire sauce and cover again. Let the sausages cook in the steam. They will swell up slightly. After a couple of minutes, open the lid and turn up the heat. Fry the mixture for 2-3 more minutes until the sausages turn brown, and turn off the heat. Do not let the onion mixture dry out but stay glistening wet.
· Tip out the sausages into a serving dish and serve immediately.
· To make a delicious hot dog out of it, put 1-2 sausages with a good dollop of the onion mixture in the centre of a chapatti and roll it up. Serve with chilled, sliced cucumbers and a creamy mayonnaise on the side.